Wednesday, May 22, 2013
165 Mulberry Street
Newark, New Jersey
Procedures for Wednesday, May 22nd at Prudential Center
Guests enter from the Prudential Center's PNC Tower
located on the corner of Mulberry Street & Edison
. Doors to the arena will open at 8:30 a.m.
Graduates enter from the Prudential Center's Lafayette Tower
located on the corner of Mulberry Street
& Lafayette Street
, and should arrive at 8:30 a.m.
Suggested Dress Code for Graduates
Graduates will be standing and marching a good part of the time; low-heeled, comfortable dress shoes are
- Women: dresses, and for safety and comfort low-heeled shoes.
- Men: shirt, dark tie, and dark slacks.
Getting Ready for the Processional
- Arrive at Prudential Center's Verizon Tower at 8:30a.m., and report to the check-in table. All graduates must be in a cap and gown in order to march in the processional. Tassels should be worn on the right side.
- Pick up a Name Card and print your full name (first name, last name), and mailing address. You will give the Name Card to the chairperson of your department when you walk on the stage to receive your diploma cover so that he/she can announce your name. Also, the Name Cards will be used by the Photographers for mailing complimentary proofs of your photos.
- Line-up with your academic department of your major as soon as you fill out your Name Card. There will be signs for each academic department and staff will be on hand to guide you.
The processional into the Arena will form at exactly 9:45 a.m.
It is important that the Processional proceed in an orderly manner to the main Arena Floor. Ushers will show you to your seat once the processional enters the Arena floor. Please remain standing for the National Anthem.
Walking on stage to receive your diploma*
When it is time to walk on the stage to receive your diploma cover, the Academic Deans will ask the candidates from your division to come forward:
* Diplomas are not distributed at the Commencement ceremonies. All graduates will receive a diploma cover as they walk across the stage. Once final certification is completed, all graduates will be notified by e-mail to pick up their diploma from the Enrollment Services office.
- Follow the Division Chairperson to the stage.
- Give your Name Card to the chairperson to announce your name.
- Walk to the center stage and receive your diploma cover in the left hand.
- Handshake the President and the Board of Trustees member.
- Walk down the stage, pause briefly for a picture, and return to your seat.
- Remain standing until the last person from department returns to their seat.
Degrees will be conferred on the entire graduating class, and the Grand Marshal will direct candidates for the tassel turning ceremony
The Recessional will form at the end of the ceremony for return to the outer corridor of the Arena floor. It is important that the Recessional proceed in an orderly conclusion from the main Arena floor. Participants should not stop or in any way break the formation until the last person has exited the main Arena floor.
Download Commencement Information (.pdf) »