Mission & Values
Essex County College, an open access community college dedicated to academic excellence, serves the dynamic needs of diverse constituencies through comprehensive educational programs and services.
Essex County College reaffirms the following principles, values, and beliefs:
- Teaching and Learning : We affirm teaching and learning as our primary purpose. The College seeks to instill in students general and specialized knowledge, an ability to think critically, a commitment to civic responsibility, and an appreciation of complex, ethical, and scholarly traditions. We value academic freedom and support the open exchange of ideas and experiences.
- Excellence and Accountability : We believe in creating a learning environment that fosters high expectations for achievement. The College is committed to rigorous academic standards, faculty excellence, and responsive support services that enable students to reach their full potential. We provide excellent programs that utilize technology, demonstrate innovation, and undergo evaluation to ensure consistent and outstanding performance.
- Community : We support programs that enhance the economic and social
development of Essex County. The College welcomes its role as a vital community resource and is dedicated to forging effective linkages with its many constituencies. We take pride in our outreach and continually strive to enhance life-long learning opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Diversity and Access : We embrace the rich diversity of our student population and our employees. We recognize the historical, intellectual, and artistic contributions of all people, and promote an atmosphere in which distinct cultural viewpoints are accepted and encouraged. We believe all people should have access to affordable, quality higher education that will prepare them to succeed in an ever-changing world.
- Legacy : We honor our history and valued traditions. We also welcome progress and change. Building upon our past achievements, we eagerly embrace the future by pursuing innovations in teaching, administration, and student services.